Thursday, October 20, 2011

Over and over and over....again

 Another wedding quilt...but with a slightly different approach.

I learned very quickly in the making of this quilt that I am not cut out for 80 blocks of the same fabrics and same pattern.  I thought this would never end...

This pattern was selected after the mother-of-the-groom and I went on a great shopping trip for fabric.  She had never shopped for a quilt before but she knew exactly what colors she was looking for since the bride said she wanted to decorate her bedroom in brown and a deep rich red.  Easy to say until you get a in a great shop with lots of selection and then it's not so easy -- but it is such fun.

Ultimately -- she chose beautiful Moda fabrics in those colors (with a little bit of blue) and I used various creams from my stash.   And from there, I had to choose a pattern and then make 80 blocks!

No more!  The wedding quilt made out of scraps that I'm working on these days is much more satisfying.  I had always thought I'd make a two color quilt -- they are so elegant -- I no longer think that's likely to happen!

I hope you're finding time to piece!  Jan

5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm with you on this one. I get so bored unless I can change the fabric for each block. the quilt is pretty, just not my kind of quilt. If I did a 2 color quilt I would have at least 50 different fabrics for each of the 2 colors.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

The results are more than worth it! I think it looks brilliant :)

Heather said...

I totally agree. I love those 2 or 3 color quilts but I would go nuts making a bunch of blocks the same! Even with a controlled color palette and pattern I need lots of fabric to make it fun and interesting! This quilt is stunning and I'm sure the bride will love it.

Hitch and Thread said...

This is gorgeous! I've been thinking the same about my secret squirrel quilt. So many things to do in exactly the same way. Almost finished thankfully.

Lesley said...

Absoltutely gorgeous quilt...stunning! The bride and groom are going to be pretty fortunate to receive this! Well done!